Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Two More Children

We three now have two more kids who come in and out of our house more regularly.  My girl enjoys helping younger kids and read to the neighbor's son and daughter.  During our vacation last summer, my daughter debuted her teaching skills by giving English lessons to Thai pupils.  My boy helped out, too.  Funny how my children didn't pick up my accented English despite being read and sung to in English as newborns until they were five to six years old.

Today we helped the older boy with his homework.  Together they read Jamari's Drum, a children's book illustrated by Malian-American illustrator Baba Wague Diakite, who four years ago came to visit my kids' school in Africa and autographed all of his books for them.  Later they decorated a Flat Stanley cut out, the boy's homework.  By that time, my neighbor dropped off the boy's younger sister at my house.  They all played, paused to finish the cut out decoration, and played some more.

I truly enjoy being with children and help them thrive and grow.  In tropical astrology, my Cancer Moon is in the 10th house.  Interpretations include a career's ups and downs like the moon's monthly movements and working nurturing fields.  Teaching young ones is one of the most joyous things for me to do.  About three weeks ago, we participated in the International Night at my kids' school.  Basically, it is the show and tell and tasting of exotic food.  On our table were a 20-lbs salt tablet hailed from Timbuktu, sand from the Sahara Desert, some books showing what natives and food look like and some relevant information about that country.  It was a success.  Both students and parents saw and touched the salt and the sand.  They were in awe to learn so much in so little time.

No comments:

Post a Comment