Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Karmic Debtors

I don't claim to know much about karmic debt.  My understanding is that, just like borrowing money from someone, one has to pay it back.  It may take just one life time to pay it back, or many life times to pay if off completely.

One time my Reiki master told me that my son and daughter are back together this time so he can be nicer to her.  She didn't know much about them but was able to accurately describe this relationship.  Her assessment helps me understand his motivation.  I then steer him in directions that are more gentle toward her and, I hope, sustainable in a long run.

My other spiritual teacher talked of a similar story between my ex-husband and me.  He's the father of my children.  As far as I can see until the younger one turns eighteen, I have to deal with him until then, plus or minus when either kids get married or have family get-together events.

Our marriage was a bond bringing two karmic parties to pay off past debt in this life time.  It had its ups and downs like many unions.

Somehow the divorce is an indicator that past wrongs have been righted.  Remaining time is for us to continue to be nice and civil to each other and to do good deeds.

Perhaps this is my take on the meaning of liberation from suffering.  This significant relationship ceased to exist as its wheel of pain stopped moving.

Other one-on-one relationships work in a similar way.  This realization makes me want to be nice to others.  It's not easy when I'm a hot head.  At least I end up becoming more aware of my own thoughts and prejudice and subsequent actions.  I certainly do not want to own anyone anything.  If I can, I want to pay if off right now before the next life time.

No comments:

Post a Comment