Monday, March 7, 2011

Addiction

I was addicted to smoking and drinking during my college years.  The moderate drinking continued for 20 years while smoking was ceased cold turkey after I graduated.  I  neither drink nor smoke.  I don't touch caffeine, either.  But a few times a year, soda with caffeine keeps me alert when I have to drive on the long stretch of a highway for 10 hours a day for a few consecutive days.  The only vice is chocolate.

My neighbor asked me to help locate an alcohol treatment center where her husband is receiving a treatment.  Unfortunately, I couldn't find it despite calling a couple of these places that I thought would match the location she initially gave me.

I know a thing or two about addiction, especially to cigarettes and alcohol.  Lucky for me that I was able to quit both without much trouble.

Sadly, a current addiction is a struggle.  Going through withdrawal symptoms alone relies so much on inner strength and determination.

No comments:

Post a Comment